Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What keeps you motivated?

I've gotten a small reprieve from my traveling! I don't have to leave again until the week after Thanksgiving! That makes me feel a bit calmer since everyone is coming here to eat this year. I will not be cooking though, only supplying the room. But if you saw the state of my house right now, you would see why I need the extra time home to prepare. Plus my husband has decided that I am to go duck hunting with this this weekend. I will not be shooting anything or even carrying a gun. I'm just going for the experience and for the time he and I can share while doing something that he seems to really enjoy. And isn't that what marriage is all about? :)

So today I wanted to ask you all, what keeps you motivated? I was in the doctors office yesterday and it seemed like every magazine I picked up had some article on losing weight or getting healthy. All the food plans were different, but one thing that was the same was this: finding and keeping your motivation. One thing I notice about myself is that when I remember WHY I am choosing to eat better and exercise I am more likely to stick with it. After my wedding I lost about 40 pounds using Weight Watchers (both online and then in meetings). My starting motivation then was seeing myself as a marshmallow bride and wanting to look and feel better in my clothes. What a great feeling it is to succeed! Fast forward to now - I've gained about 25 pounds back. And I feel. like. crap. My clothes are clingy, my jeans are tight and giving me the feared muffin top. I'm losing my desire to go out in public for fear I might see someone I know and they will see how FAT I have gotten. There are no excuses for this. I've more than fallen off the wagon - I think the following wagon ran me over! That must be why I'm so swollen!
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that there must be a "why" for anyone to commit to doing anything. And it doesn't always have to be one big reason, it can be a bunch of things, as long as it motivates you and keeps you going on your journey. My current motivators: my jeans are too small and I refuse to buy more, my muffin top has got to go, I feel horrible, and the extra weight I'm carrying might play a huge role in having (or being able to have) children.
So what keeps you motivated? Please share! It doesn't even have to pertain to weight - it could be what motivates you to get up in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment